I hate to be the barer of bad news but if the coaches doesn't like your kid, 70% its because of you. The other 30% is because your kid doesn't listen. Unless your child can actually fly through the air over your house from the backyard to the front yard carrying the family dog, then they're really not that special or different.
The power of social media has replaced those car stickers that would let everyone who is driving behind you know that your kid is an honor student or goes to a college that people recognize has been replaced by facebook video's and pictures, which is awesome for family and friends, but no one else cares. Funny you never see a back window college sticker from the University of Phoenix?
I believe parents (I have four) is that living for those short term social media brag moments rather than celebrating what all the kids just accomplished, has brought out the worst in people and has caused more issues with parents and coaches because those "My kid is great" moments have to be video documented and not over exaggerated like the good old days.
At the end of the day, kids, coaches and parents know who are the best players are on their team and in their leagues. But you need to know that the coach equally loves those kids who are the better listeners, non complainers and those that tries super hard at every practice and in the game regardless if they have limited ability. They like your kid more if you are also a non complainer. Does it mean they will get more playing time? No but it also means the coach will spend more time helping them get the most out of their ability because they know the kid cares and that their parents supports them as a coach.
Here are a few ways that parents can help...
As simple as the above sounds and what should be common sense, somehow gets lost in the need to be self serving. Put your child's experience first and that tone is set with the parents, not the coaches. They really just want a Dunkin Donuts gift card after the season.
I am a 25+ year Sports and Media executive who also coached youth, high school and college football. I help national governing bodies, youth organizations, brands create revenue generating grassroots fan and player development programs. www.RobThompsonLive.com
I would love to hear your perspective and share your stories. Kindly leave comments below and share with others if you liked the article.